The Rock House was Dad’s first house built specifically to be rented. In 1946, the war was over, compressor air-conditioning had been developed and Phoenix was beginning to boom. Dad worked for Sikorsky Helicopters during the war and was back in Arizona with new dreams. Would guests drive 6-8 hours from Phoenix over rough, dirt roads to vacation in Oak Creek Canyon? Dad hoped so. Everything about the Rock House was built by hand with no power used at all. Renowned artists Max Ernst and Dorothea Tanning lived in Sedona at the time, and became close friends with Mom and Dad, socializing and playing chess often. Max was very instrumental in Dad’s understanding of using color in his own art. He helped build the Rock House, and Dad helped build Max’s House in Sedona.
The lovely, creekside Rock House features two bedrooms, both with Queen beds, and one bathroom with a quaint bathtub/shower. The house is multi-level with stone steps outside and throughout the interior. The cozy living room with a wood-burning rock fireplace leads out to a private patio overlooking the creek. Relax while listening to the peaceful sound of the cascading water.